92-94 Clearwater Drive
Clifton Springs 3222
Tel 03 5251 3391
Fax 03 5251 3788
tel 03 5253 1488
tel 03 5251 2501
An iFrame Design by
neil remeeus © 2007
clifton springs golf club centenary
100 years old – but we need help with our history
In November 2009 the Clifton Springs golf club celebrated the centenary of the first competition held on the course.
Clifton Springs golf course, now a challenging 18-hole championship layout, can trace its origins back to the late 19th century. It is believed it first took shape as part of a cliff top hotel development catering for holidaymakers coming by paddle steamer to the nearby mineral springs.
The original Clifton Springs Golf Club held its first recorded official Saturday competition on November 20, 1909 on what was then a nine-hole links layout set out by a well known course designer Dick Banks.
The history of the original golf club has been lost and the present day Clifton Springs Golf Club was not formed until 1970 by which time the course was owned by developer Willmore and Randall who expanded it to 18 holes.
Ownership of the course transferred to the local council during the 70s and the club, which today is wholly responsible for the operation of the course and its costs, leases it from the City of Greater Geelong.
Little is known about the course, club and competitions of the early days so the club is appealing for help from anyone with documents, trophies or any form of records that can throw more light on those early days.
The club manager David Milne can be contacted on 03 5251 3391.